Sunday 24 July 2022

Frank Sidebottom - Frank's Firm Favorites (and Other Bits)

Of all papier-mache headed people from the Greater Manchester area, Frank Sidebottom is perhaps the most well known and with good reason. His talent for cover versions knew no bounds; for instance his tribute to Queen and Kylie is a work of true genius. Much as I would like to own more of his records and CDs, it's increasingly hard to find them (at least for somone as tight-fisted as me). I'm now reduced to picking up scraps, although I've spotted a nice cache of Frank here which I'll be checking out.

 


These offerings were perloined from one of the many streaming services active these days and as such, it's a bit patchy. As well as a complete copy of 'Frank's Firm Favourites', I have a selection of tracks from his SciFi EP. There's no exact match on Discogs so I have to assume that a few tracks were left out due to licensing issues and.. hang on, is anyone still reading this bit?

 

 

Frank's Firm Favourites was recorded in 1985 and so the tracks are inspired by music from around that time in the UK. The medley is the high point, where his transitions can be jarring but we're too busy laughing about the last bit so we don't care.


 

The Sci-Fi bit is an incomplete collection of tracks as I said, but in a 'this or nothing' situation I've not been a choosing beggar so I took what I could and was grateful for it. If you had listened to your mum, you would be too.


Frank's Firm Favorites (and Other Bits) 260kbps VBR


No comments:

Post a Comment